Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 16:9 mode

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    But when you make your edit master, you have to imagine borderlines in your view finder and that's difficult to do, atleast for me it is.

    Jeffery

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You mean when you're shooting it's hard to remember your 16x9 frame lines? I would recommend a google search (or Engine 54 search which helps pay Hostboard a very microscopic fee to survive) type in 16x9 camera and see what cameras get mentioned as having this feature.

    If you find a really good article on this subject, please share the link on this topic. With my E.N.G. camera, I can superimpose 2 sets of "TV safe lines" on the viewfinder which make it easier to do 16x9.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 05:59 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the topic thread intact.

    Posted By: cameraguy

    Message:

    Canon has manuals of its camcorders online.

    http://www.canondv.com/downloads/product_manuals.html


    Posted By: cameraguy

    Message:

    Canon has manuals of its camcorders online.

    http://www.canondv.com/downloads/product_manuals.html

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 06, 2003 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jefury's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2001
    Posts
    114
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a question about miniDV cameras if you don't mind.

    i have a question concerning canon minidv cameras in general. i was just wondering if they offer the 16:9 mode. just curious.

    jeffery

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't own one, but I think they do. Remember, there are many ways to do 16 x 9. You can always add a border when you make your edit master.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I own 2 GL2's and one XL1s and they offer 16x9 guidelines in the viewfinder or 16x9 squeezed.
    I don't know about the other Canons.
    Good Luck
    Corey

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know that 16x9 is the future, but unless you're showing your production on a 16x9 larger tv, you're going to lose picture space on the top and bottom on a regular tv...my trv-900 has the 16x9 squeeze which unsqueezes on a 16x9 tv, but I haven't found a use for it yet, as there is a slight loss in picture definition..(very slight). They do make widescreen lenses for mini-dv which give you a true 16x9 squeezed picture which is electronically unsqueezed later, and results in no loss of picture quality, but for a good lens thru Century Optics, it's about 800. For me, even though i have a 4x3 tv capable of showing the squeezed 16x9 picture, so many of my friends still have regular tvs, so I'm holding off jumping into 16x9 production. Also, the cameras that have true 16x9 chips are still outside of the financial reach of most prosumers, at least that's the way it was last year...maybe they have a new camera with a price drop?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member nahie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MikeyB:
    my trv-900 has the 16x9 squeeze which unsqueezes on a 16x9 tv, but I haven't found a use for it yet, as there is a slight loss in picture definition..(very slight).
    <font size="2.0" face="verdana, sans-serif">I've also got a TRV-900 and I wouldn't say the loss is "very slight." It really looks bad if you watch it on a professional monitor instead of a regular TV. For that reason I bought an anamorphic lens for mine, though not century but one from optex. Yeah it was ~$800 but I was using it for a feature. If you plan to show your movie in any sort of theater I would shoot 16:9.

    There are now several cameras that have native 16:9 video chips. Sony even makes a 3 CCD model like the TRV-900 (I think it is called the PDX10?) but it has 1/4.7 chips so it does worse in low light than the TRV-900, which isn't exacly the best low light camera either...

    Edit: Oh yeah, the best part about that optex anamorphic lens is that it also fits on my Nizo 4056 so I could use it to shoot anamorphic super 8! Haven't tried it yet though...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 20, 2003 02:08 PM: Message edited by: nahie ]</font>

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [quote]Originally posted by nahie:
    Originally posted by MikeyB:
    [qb]

    Edit: Oh yeah, the best part about that optex anamorphic lens is that it also fits on my Nizo 4056 so I could use it to shoot anamorphic super 8! Haven't tried it yet though...
    <font size="2.0" face="verdana, sans-serif">Years ago I was told that the attachable lens accessories such as an anamorphic lenses that are made for video cameras are not of a high enough quality for Super-8, is that just a myth?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member nahie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dunno, I haven't tried it yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work or be "low quality" though. It is just a piece of glass...and I don't see any imperfections in it. I use my ND and UV video filters on that camera all the time and haven't noticed any problems. The biggest problem with the anamorphic lens is my nizo thread is free spinning so you have to line the lens up just so to shoot with it. I'm shooting a documentary right now and so I don't have the time to line the anamorphic lens up for each shot. On a feature however...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •